CDC officers mentioned Thursday, every week earlier than Thanksgiving, that touring as circumstances rise throughout the nation might enhance somebody’s probabilities of spreading COVID-19.
WASHINGTON — The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention on Thursday launched new steerage on touring amid the coronavirus pandemic, every week earlier than Thanksgiving.
Officers with the company mentioned throughout a press briefing that touring might enhance somebody’s probabilities of getting or spreading COVID-19. Officers with the CDC urged that its steerage is strongly really helpful, however not enforced.
“We perceive that folks need to see their household and kin and do it as they’ve all the time finished it. However this yr we’re asking them to restrict their journey,” CDC’s Dr. Henry Walke mentioned within the briefing.
“Greater than 1 million COVID-19 circumstances had been reported in the USA over the past 7 days,” the CDC mentioned on its web site Thursday. “As circumstances proceed to extend quickly throughout the USA, the most secure technique to rejoice Thanksgiving is to rejoice at dwelling with the folks you reside with.”
RELATED: Suggestions for safely celebrating Thanksgiving amid COVID-19 pandemic
RELATED: States tightening anti-virus restrictions amid case surge
If somebody is contemplating touring subsequent week, the CDC requests people ask the next essential questions earlier than heading out:
- Are you, somebody in your family, or somebody you may be visiting at elevated danger for getting very sick from COVID-19?
- Are circumstances excessive or growing in your neighborhood or your vacation spot?
- Are hospitals in your neighborhood or your vacation spot overwhelmed with sufferers who’ve COVID-19?
- Does your property or vacation spot have necessities or restrictions for vacationers?
- Throughout the 14 days earlier than touring, have you ever or these you’re visiting had shut contact with folks they don’t dwell with?
- Do your plans embrace touring by bus, practice, or air which could make staying 6 ft aside tough?
- Are you touring with individuals who don’t dwell with you?
The CDC mentioned if anybody solutions “sure” to the above questions, they need to not journey and will contemplate making different plans like a digital dinner or delaying the journey.
There’s “no extra essential time than now for each American to redouble our efforts to look at our distance, wash our palms and, most significantly, put on a masks,” Walke mentioned.
For most individuals, the brand new coronavirus causes gentle or reasonable signs. For some, particularly older adults and other people with current well being issues, it may well trigger extra extreme sickness, together with pneumonia and dying.
The US has greater than 11.5 million confirmed circumstances of COVID-19, in accordance with information from Johns Hopkins College.
As of Thursday, the U.S. had greater than 251,000 deaths from the virus. Worldwide, there are greater than 56 million confirmed circumstances with greater than 1.three million deaths.
RELATED: US hospitals overwhelmed with new coronavirus circumstances
RELATED: US dying toll from COVID-19 passes 250,000