Honoring the best in film from the last year the 92nd Academy Awards were presented on Sunday, February 9th at the Dolby Theatre in Hollywood Los Angeles. Did you miss the live-action? Catch up all here. Some of the biggest winners of the night were obviously Best Actor Joaquin Phoenix for Joker and Best Actress Renee Zellweger (Judy). While Brad Pit took the Best Supporting Actor Oscar Award for his phenomenal performance in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and Laura Dern won Best Supporting Actress for her role in Netflix’s Marriage Story. One of the biggest surprises of the night was the South Korean film Parasite which won a total of four awards out of the total six nominations.
We are going to break it all down beginning with, of course, Parasite, which made history tonight as the first foreign language film to ever win an Oscar. Jane Fonda presented this award to director Bong Joon Ho and the team. Surprised director of this thriller film in his receiving speech for Best Director said “Thought I was done,” but he didn’t know Best Picture was still waiting for him.
No foreign-language film has ever won Best Picture and Parasite already started the night with a historic six nominations. They went home with four including Best Picture, Original Screenplay, Best International Feature Film, and Best Director, making it the first South Korean film to win an Oscar. The nominations alone were historic for the country itself. There was a close competition between Parasite and 1917 according to several critics. Here’s the complete list of Oscar 2020 winners and the highlights of the 92nd Oscars Awards 2020:
- “Parasite” won total four Oscars tonight including Best Picture, Best Director (Bong Joon-ho), Best International Feature Film, and Best Original Screenplay (Bong and Han Jin-won)
- Just like every other prominent award functions, Joker’s Joaquin Phoenix and Judy’s Renée Zellweger won the Academy Awards 2020 for Best Actor and Best Actress category respectively.
- Brad Pitt and Laura Dern won Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress respectively. Brad for “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” and Laura for “Marriage Story.”
- “Jojo Rabbit” won the Best Adapted Screenplay (Taika Waititi).
- “Toy Story 4” won the Best Animated Feature Film for this year.
- Rocketman’s “(I’m Gonna) Love Me Again” won Best Original Song (Elton John and Bernie Taupin).
- NFL superstar Matthew Cherry won the Best Animated Short Film for “Hair Love”, making him the second sports personality to win an Academy Award. In 2018, late Kobe Bryant won an Oscar for “Dear Basketball.”
- “American Factory,” produced by former President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle Obama won the Best Documentary Feature Film.
- 1917 won the Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Mixing, and The Best Cinematography awards.
- Best Film Editing and the Best Sound Editing award went to Ford v Ferrari.
- Little Women (Jacqueline Durran) won took away the Best Costume Design.
- Martin Scorsese’s “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” won the Best Production Design
- The performance of Eminem singing “Lose Yourself” was phenomenal.